Wednesday, March 28, 2007

...And Boy Are My Arms Tired!

...as in "I just flew back from Dallas"....

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple days -- I've just returned from a conference for fundraising professionals in Dallas. We were out there promoting the company to the association and nonprofit
executive attendees.

I also owe some gratitude to John O'Leary who wins the award for the first commenter of this blog. He responded to my post on Commerce Bank's taglines and website. Thanks for your response John. I'm sure that Commerce Bank provides excellent service and I appreciate your bringing that to everyone's attention. I was simply questioning the way they attract new customers. I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of new business comes from referrals like yours -- if they have evangelists like you out there, then they almost don't need to spend money on fixing their website. Almost. But either way, extra points to you for quoting Landeau on this blog.

This brings up an interesting point: have you ever stopped to think about how valuable a customer referral is to your company? The customer referral is an extremely strong promotion tool and is an important piece to a good viral marketing campaign. Think about it: viral marketing is basically facilitating your evangelists' desire to talk about how wonderful your company is. The trick is to enable these customers in a way that doesn't harm the credibility of their referral.

I have some more stuff to talk about from Dallas (including "Texas Edition" Ford Trucks, flying on American Airlines, and Lance Armstrong's speech that I heard yesterday) but will have to post those thoughts in the coming days. Stay tuned.

No comments: